Do you want to disable Windows 11 from automatically downloading and installing software updates? If that’s the case, there are several methods to stop automatic updates on a PC running Windows 11.
You can stop Windows 11 updates if you do a few things. There are 5 ways to do this.
Most computer users need to stop these updates when they are turning off their computers. These updates can waste your time during an emergency. The data usage for these updates will also use up your internet usage (your data). Because of this, people try to turn off the automatic updates.
Before attempting any of these measures, read through them carefully and at your own risk. We always recommend that the operating system be updated with these updates in order to avoid mistakes and security flaws. So if you don’t want Windows 11 updates, read this article to turn them off.
Installing updates may not be as simple as it looks. After you make the updates, the system might become unstable. Microsoft usually provides a way to fix this, but sometimes you will have to reinstall your operating system.
Windows 11 update functionality is a lot like Windows 10. It can be hard to control. We have talked about how to disable Windows 10 updates, and in this article, we will talk about ways you can disable Windows 11 updates, either permanently or temporarily.
In this post, we’ll explore:
- 1 Method 1: How To Disable Windows 10 Updates Permanently
- 2 Method 2: Pause Updates on Windows 11 ( Reccomend )
- 3 Method 3: Disable Windows 11 Update by Windows Registry
- 4 Method 4: Disable Windows 11 Auto Update using Windows Update Blocker
- 5 How to Stop Automatic Updates on Windows 11 Operating System
- 6 Conclusion
Method 1: How To Disable Windows 10 Updates Permanently
You can disable automatic updates in Windows 10 by following these steps:
1) Click the Start Menu, and type ‘ Control Panel’. Open it.
2) Once you’re inside Control Panel, click on System and Security.
3-a) If you have the ‘User Account Control’ screen, click Yes to continue.
3-b) In the left pane of the System window, click ‘Windows Update’.
4) Now in the Windows Update window, in the right pane, under ‘Update Settings’, choose “Never check for updates”. Click OK.
5) You’re done! Note that this option will disable all automatic updates in Windows 10.
If you want to re-enable the updates, just follow the same steps and choose “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them”.
Method 2: Pause Updates on Windows 11 ( Reccomend )
If you don’t wish to permanently disable Windows 11 auto-update, but rather pause it for 1 week, then this is the method to use.
Microsoft provides a “pause updates” option in the Windows 11 settings. From the name, you can understand it is only temporary.
If you want to stop Windows 11 from automatically updating for a week, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and then press I.
- Select the Settings option from the Windows Update menu on the Settings window.
- Now on the Windows Update screen, select the Pause for 1 week option, which is located under More options.
Method 3: Disable Windows 11 Update by Windows Registry
An important computer database is called the Windows Registry. It stores information about the settings and configurations on your computer. One way to modify it is to disable or turn off Windows Updates, but be careful!
- To open the registry editor, go to Run. This will show you a list of programs that are on your computer. Find regedit and click it.
- Open the key from the left hand tree.
- Right-click the Windows folder and create a new Key with the name WindowsUpdate.
- Right-click the newly created WindowsUpdate folder and make a new key with the name AU.
- Create a new DWORD Value with the name “NoAutoUpdate” and select “AU” in the right-hand pane.
- You need to open a program called “NoAutoUpdate” and change the value from zero to one.
- Restart the computer.
This will stop the automatic Windows update process. But you can still check, download, and install updates manually from Settings – > Windows Update.
If you don’t want to edit the Registry yourself, you may download and run this batch file to set up the above-mentioned keys and adjust the necessary settings for you automatically
Method 4: Disable Windows 11 Auto Update using Windows Update Blocker
If you feel like the built-in tools and settings on Windows 11 are not very good, you can use a third-party software that will allow you to control when Windows updates happen.
Update detector is a lightweight, portable program for Windows that allows you to quickly disable or enable automatic updates on your Windows 11 operating system in just a few clicks.
Here are the steps to turn off automatic updates in Windows 11 using the Windows Update Blocker software:
Step 1: Install the Windows Update Blocker software on your computer.
Step 2: The program will automatically start once it has been installed. Simply click the ON/OFF switch as shown in the figure below to stop or restart automatic upgrades for your Windows 11 PC.
Step 3: Click “Show log” if you want to examine the modifications you make in more detail.
Note: You can download and install this software for free from this official website.
How to Stop Automatic Updates on Windows 11 Operating System
Many Windows users feel that automatic updates are quite annoying. Some people do not want Windows 11 to auto-update. If you also feel this way, here are some things you can try to stop the updates from happening:
If you find making changes in the Windows Registry Editor or Local Group Policy Editor to be a daunting task, try using third-party software (Windows Update Blocker) or one of the other fast techniques for turning off automatic updates on Windows 11 that we’ve described above.
Windows 7 is an operating system that has actually been used by millions of customers. So, I believe you should always keep your system up-to-date and turn on Windows 11 to take full advantage of all the features offered by the Windows 11 platform. As a result, we propose that you do not intentionally stop Windows 11 from downloading and installing updates.
We hope you found this information useful “how to turn off automatic updates on Windows 11 operating system.” Please let us know if you agree. Also, if you have any more questions about the Windows 11 update, please leave a remark in the box below. We would be delighted to assist you!