GPS (Global Positioning System) chipsets on your iPhone can track your position in real-time. Using this feature is useful when you lose your phone or want your location to be known. In addition, using the Find My app, Messages, or Contacts, you can share your site on your iPhone.
In this post, we’ll explore:
On an iPhone, you must first enable Location Services to share your location.
Go to Settings > Privacy to do this. Next, select Location Services. Finally, turn on the Share My Location slider after you have tapped Share My Location.
Using the Find My app, you can share your location once you enable Location Services and turn on Share My Location. For example, you can do it this way:
If you lose your iPhone or other iOS or Apple device, you can use the Find My application to locate them. The location-sharing feature can also help you locate other Apple users. To share your location, follow these steps:
- Open the Find My app. You can find this app on your home screen.
- Then select the People tab. You will see this in the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- Next, tap the Start Sharing Location. If you have already enabled this feature before, it might also be labeled as Share My Location.
- Enter the phone number or contact name of the person you would like to share your location with.
- Then select Send.
- Next, choose how long you want to share your location. You can select One Hour, Until End of Day, or Share Indefinitely.
- Finally, tap OK. Your contact will then receive a notification, asking them if they would also like to share their location with you.
Note: To see the location of another user, go to the People tab in the Find My app and select that person. You can then like Follow Location by scrolling down. Before you can see exactly where the user is, the user will have to allow you access to their location.
Sharing your frequented locations is also an option. Simply select the Me tab when you open the Find My app. Then, edit the location name by scrolling down.
After adding your Home, School, Work, Gym, or name your location, it will appear on the map. You can do this by selecting Add Custom Label, typing a name, and tapping Done.
It’s possible to send a map showing your current location using the Messages app, so you don’t have to share your site for example, constantly. You can do it this way:
Tap the old conversation, or create a new one, to share your location with Messages on your iPhone. Once you’ve selected a contact’s profile picture, tap “i” to learn more. To send your current location, tap Send.
- Your iPhone will open Messages. This is the app with the green speech bubble you would use to send someone a text message.
- Then open a conversation. You can do this by tapping on an old conversation or starting a new conversation by tapping the blue pen and paper icon in the app’s top-right.
Note: If you are starting a new conversation, you will have to message them before sharing your location with the Messages app.
- Next, select the contact’s name at the top of the app. This will open a menu below their profile picture.
- Then tap the information icon at the top of the app. This is the icon that looks like an “I” in a circle.
- Finally, select Send My Current Location. Your contact will now be able to view your location on the map.
Note: If you get a message that says, “Turn on Location Services to Allow Messages to Send Your Location,” tap Settings. Then scroll down to Messages, and change your Allow Location Access settings to While Using the App.
If you don’t already have a conversation started with another user and don’t want to create one, you can share your location with them via the Contacts app. You can do it this way:
With a few easy steps, you can use the Contacts app to share your location:
- Open the Contacts app on your iPhone.
- Then select one of your contacts.
- Next, tap on Share My Location.
- Finally, choose how long you want to share your location with that user.
iCloud Family members will be able to see your location indefinitely if you enable iCloud Location Sharing and turn on Family Sharing. With Find My Friends or Messages you can easily invite other iOS users to see your location.
The location can be shared with Android users by sharing the location with Google Maps or by manually sending your location via Messages, as described in “Manually Send Current Location with Map over Messages.”