Many smartphone users wish to stay in touch with their friends who own iPhones using FaceTime on Android, regardless of the abundance of video-calling apps in the Google Play Store.
Apple’s video calling app features some top-of-the-line features and is highly secure. FaceTime was restricted to the Apple ecosystem until iOS 15 and macOS 12 Monterey, which Apple had released. With the new features of FaceTime, Android and Windows users can use it as well.
There has been a surge in demand for competing services over the past year, including Zoom and Google Meet. You can use FaceTime on Android without an iPhone if you want to test out Apple’s video call application.
In this post, we’ll explore:
How to Use FaceTime on Your Android Device in 2021
Firstly, we should answer a few questions before examining the steps of setting up FaceTime on Android. Can you use FaceTime on Android? Can you share your screen during FaceTime with others? You should have all your questions answered in this article. Go for it!
How Does Apple’s FaceTime Work on Android?
In the open beta, Apple’s iCloud and App Store add great new tools to the Apple ecosystem, but it isn’t finished. Apple always imposes heavy restrictions – not just on its mobile apps but on any platforms it can. It’s no different with FaceTime for Android.
- The first question is then raised. Facetime for Android is available? The FaceTime app for Android has not been launched by Apple. FaceTime calls using Android can only be joined via a link. You cannot join the party unless you get a link from an iPhone user.
- The second limitation is that Android cannot generate an invite link for FaceTime meetings. You can ask your friend (who owns an iPhone, iPad, or Mac) to share the FaceTime meeting link.
- Lastly, FaceTime does not support Google Chrome. You will need Chrome to open the FaceTime link. You need to tap the link and add your name to it and wait for your iDevice friend (or the one who linked) to let you in.
- You can’t share your screen in FaceTime calls on Android. You can only use FaceTime on iOS 15 and later. You can learn more about how it works by reading the linked guide.
Create a FaceTime Call Link on iPhone, iPad, or Mac
You will first need to share a FaceTime call link with your friend who owns an Apple device. Here we go!
- You can use FaceTime on an iPhone or iPad running iOS 15 or a Mac running macOS Monterey.
2. Select “Create Link” to generate the FaceTime meeting link.
3. Click the “Info” button following the FaceTime link next.
4. Next, select “Share Link” from the pop-up menu in iOS 15. You can share files on your Mac by clicking the Share button.
5. You will then have to select the preferred method for sharing the link with the friend who owns an Android. You can send the meeting link via email, WhatsApp, Messenger, Apple Messages, and so on. You may also choose to copy the link.
Join a FaceTime Call from Your Android Device
You can easily join the FaceTime call on your Android device once you receive the meeting link. For Android devices, FaceTime is only available on Google Chrome. You will need to open the meeting link in Chrome and complete the following steps:
- You can now use FaceTime by clicking on the link. You then need to enter your name and click “Continue”.
3. Next, you will see a pop-up that lets you know that facetime.apple.com wants to use your camera and microphone. Tap on Allow to grant the permission.
4. You can now join a Facetime video calling between iPhone and Android devices in just a few steps. You can join by tapping the green “Join” button on the top right of the page
6. You should now see “Waiting to be let in” at the bottom of the screen. Your iOS friend must accept your request before you can join the FaceTime call.
7. If you want to end the call, click the Erase button in the top right-hand corner.
Add FaceTime App Icon on Android Home Screen
You can add the FaceTime link to your Android device home screen for easy access. You can essentially turn any FaceTime meeting link into an icon on your home screen to make it easier to join the call. You won’t have to perform a grueling search in the app where you’ve received the link again and again!
It’s interesting to note that the link to the FaceTime meeting invite remains active for several days. You can therefore use the same invite link for multiple meetings. In our test, we were able to use a 15-day-old FaceTime link to connect between iPhone and Android, but we’re not sure how long a FaceTime link has to remain active. The host has to let anyone into the meeting before they can join.
Therefore, let’s see how to add a FaceTime shortcut to your Android home screen. To get started, simply follow these steps:
1. You can open the FaceTime link in your Android Chrome browser. You can then tap the vertical three-dot menu icon in the upper right corner of the screen. Next, select “Add to Home Screen” from the menu.
2. You will have to tap “Add” in the pop-up menu to confirm the action. Once you are at the home screen you can access the FaceTime app shortcut.
There is no competition between Home Screen Icons and a FaceTime app, but if you are regularly speaking with friends or colleagues, they are a convenient way to join a call.
Make FaceTime Calls on Your Android Device
You can now join a FaceTime call from an Android device. The FaceTime web app is a huge step for Apple, even if it would have been better if it was a full-featured app that let you do more than just join meetings.
Finally, Apple has enabled FaceTime for Android and Windows users. Is this a big move for you? Your feedback is welcome below in the comment section.